On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:38:23 -0500
 "John Barrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm looking at creating a new protocol module to handle the low level
details of the connection, and a hud overlay like the OLK code to handle

Here's a red herring - er ... I mean side note:

One thing I've been playing around with (OK, _played_ around with - about a year ago) in JSBSim was the ability to add "child" objects to the main aircraft. Each child would be a separate instance of a JSBSim FDM. The idea would be to provide a way to model an aircraft with attached stores. Each store would transmit forces and moments to the parent aircraft (for example a Mirage) until it was released, at which time the FDM for that child object (for example a Mk-82 or AIM-9) would start integrating and do its own flyout - the parent aircraft now free of the effects of the store. Additionally, each store would have its own config file - and its own flight control system/autopilot/guidance. In theory, the possibilities are limitless for game playing, where one might <PC> set up a food drop tank to be released from an aircraft and make a mid-air "connection" to another aircraft, mid-flight</PC>, or <PC> a water delivery tank could be guided by homing device to a precision landing extremely close to a hostile anti-aircraft battery or needy family (in some cases these are coincident)</PC>. I've been threatening to complete this for a long time, but one day we'll allwake up and I'll announce that it is finished. ;-)

Jon