----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Hofman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "FlightGear developers discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 7:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Re: Multiplayer Server RFC -- Current Status

> Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > * Norman Vine -- Thursday 06 November 2003 12:56:
>
> >>If you want to simulate combat please make it a separate project [...]
>
> > I'm worried, though, that fighting capabilities could mean
> > tradeoffs for the civilian simulation, which would certainly
> > not be acceptable. As long as the whole thing would be a
> > separate module (like WeatherCM) that can be compiled in
> > or not, I'd not see much of a problem.
>
> Good thinking.
>
> Erik

I see no problems here -- everything discussed so far impacts the current FG
code only if you are involved with a server, and having an additional config
option or three to control what gets compiled in is easy enough

Lets see if I can run down the areas of impact:

1. keyboard/joystick event bindings for weapons

2. FDM integration for disposable stores and expendables -- useful even for
civil aviation sims -- what happens if an engine falls off the pylon on a
747 ?? :)

3. HUD overlay for text messaging, GUI for radio messages -- needed in any
case for ATC simulations, adding text to speech would be a plus :)

4. client and server protocol modules (can be configured in or out
independently) -- in fact, totally possible to have the build process do two
binaries at output -- one with server code, one without

5. aircraft specification modifications for weapons stores and damage
effects (if you get hit in a specific location, what gets damage and how can
that effect plane performance)

6. balistics and incremental aircraft damage system (non-guided weapons...
wing cannon and bombs, falling aircraft parts [getting back to the 747 that
drops an engine :) ], falling aircraft :) )

did I miss anything ?? Some of it is relevant to any simulation, the rest
can be handled as optional modules, or is so low impact that its not worth
making it optional (event bindings for instance)