Norman Vine writes:
> Paul Surgeon writes:
> >
> > I hope FG doesn't tie textures to every single polygon in the scenery files.
> > (faster rendering because the calculations don't have to be done at render
> > time but larger scenery files because of all the texture co-ords tied to the
> > vertices)
>
> This is exactly what Flightgear does for several reasons but ....
>
> Don't let this discourage you because I can't think of any thing
> in the code that would really have to change outside of the terrain
> parser and the low level tile class and these would have to be
> changed anyway to support any change in the terrain structure.
>
> I am looking forward to seeing another mechanism for a global
> seamless terrain rendering on a dimpled ellipsoid :-)

Sure, anyone is welcome to build an alternate scenery rendering
subsystem.  There are a zillion different approaches out there each
with it's own strengths and weaknesses.  FlightGear impliments just
one approach right now.

Regards,

Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org
Minnesota      http://www.flightgear.org/~curt  http://www.flightgear.org