Jim Wilson wrote:

Erik Hofman <erik at ehofman.com> said:

Eric L Hathaway wrote:

Unfortunately, FlightGear still doesn't compile on RedHat 7.3,
even with the above configure script check for truncf (I haven't
checked it out on RedHat 9 yet).  I did figure out how to get it
to work though (see below).

The problem is that although truncf is present in Red Hat 7.3's
glibc libraries, a declaration for truncf is not provided in
<math.h>, unless _ISOC99_SOURCE is defined (maybe this is a Red
Hat peculiarity, since Bernie said that he had no problems
compiling on Mandrake -- can any other Red Hat users confirm this
compilation problem?).  The configure script effectively only
tests for the presence of the truncf function in the library, so
the check succeeds.

It shouldn't be, unless you have specified _ISOC99_SOURCE somewhere in your configuration flags. configure will _never_ add this sort of predefines by itself.

So unless you have specified it, configure shouldn't be able to
fund the truncf function.

Maybe you need to remove config.cache?

OK I'm up to speed on this. This latest patch in cvs works fine on my RH7.3 system, so yes, starting fresh should solve the problem.

Best,

Jim

Well, if it's working for you on your Red Hat 7.3 machine, I'm at a loss to explain why it's not working on mine. I've been regularly compiling the CVS versions of plib, SimGear, and FlightGear on this computer for over a year, so I know I have all the necessary prerequisites installed. A clean checkout of the FlightGear CVS and a rebuild from scratch still shows the same problem: the check for truncf in the configure script is successful (truncf is found), but compilation of panel.cxx fails with an error message saying that truncf is undeclared.

Jim, here are the details of my build procedure. If you see anything that may be causing my build to fail where yours succeeds, let me know.

I'm using the following versions of the listed packages (all from the most recent official Red Hat 7.3 RPMs):

   glibc: 2.2.5
     gcc: 2.96
autoconf: 2.53
automake: 1.5

Note that the default automake for RH7.3 is 1.4, and the default autoconf is 2.13. I have installed Red Hat's "autoconf253" and "automake15" packages, and created the appropriate symbolic links so the autoconf and automake tools point to the newer versions.

To compile FlightGear from a clean CVS checkout (with plib and SimGear are already installed), I run a little script that issues the following commands:

export CFLAGS="-Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math \
 -funroll-loops -march=athlon"
export CXXFLAGS="-Wall -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math \
 -funroll-loops -march=athlon"
export INSTALL="/usr/bin/install -cCp"
./autogen.sh
./configure --with-threads
make

I've been using this exact procedure to compile FlightGear for quite some time without a problem, but the appearance of the truncf function in the code has apparently loused something up. So is there anything I should be doing differently in order to get compilaton working again?

Thanks for your help,
-Eric