Vivian Meazza wrote:

Giles Robertson wrote

Let's check the patent filing dates etc. Could just be that we have prior art. Can anybody get a date that nasal was originally committed?

We did this one a while back. I think the outcome was that it was all too
late - the patent has been granted, but the way we did things was
sufficiently different not to infringe the patent.

Actually It didn't start with Nasal.
I first implemented JavaScript (ECMAScript) for FlightGear but everybody thought the library was too large so it never was committed. Then Steve Baker put his PSL scripting language in plib and David (Megginson) added the first implementation of that to FlightGear.

At that time we were (theoretically) able to run both JavaScript and PSL scripts from within one single XML file by specifying:

<psl>
 (code)
</psl>

<javascript>
 (code)
</javascript>

It was later that Nasal replaces psl because it was already much more integrated with FlightGear (thanks to Andy).

Erik