Jorge Van Hemelryck wrote:
Andy Ross wrote:

Jorge Van Hemelryck wrote:
We already have an external HUD code. Actually, it is quite large,
[...] and more importantly it can't be distributed. At all.

That was my fear. Opinions differ (widely!) on this point. But in general, adding a dynamic loading API to a free software project for the sole purpose of interfacing to non-free software is not considered to be within the spirit of the GPL.

Two things :

- With all my good will, it still would not be possible to release the
code. It's not just that it is proprietary. This is a minor issue,
because actually it's even protected by confidentiality (it's a military
simulator).

- Maybe this new functionality would just increase the number of
applications that could use FlightGear (applications that otherwise
would have considered buying proprietary software).

I'm not sure what to think about this, but ...
We already allow for things like this and I can see the need to drive external HUD code from within FlightGear (if nothing else for FlightGear's own HUD code on a separate display).

Maybe it the way it is implemented that makes the difference. If you implemented it like driving an external source using network or socket communication no one (not even the Free Software Foundation) can ever complain ...

Erik