Hi All,

I am going to have a second shot at photo scenery and have been looking
at the last way I did it.
I have asked this question before, but wonder if there is anyone out
there who knows where I can find out how terrain texture tiles are
placed in FG.

It looks as if they are placed by FG and not during scenery building by
TG. I say this as when I open up scenery tiles in FGSD there is
definitely no existing series of squares. Yet the terrain textures are
laid over the scenery in a fixed grid that doesn't change however I
build the scenery. Here is a screenshot of the "grid" (made by using all
black terrain texture tiles with a single pixel white edge)

http://www.projects.34sp.com/Flightgear/tn/a-Black-grid.jpg.html

Yet TG does define what terrain texture goes where. So there you go I'm
confused.

Basically last time I spent ages copying this grid by hand, then
building it into the scenery using TG. A fuller understanding of how
those terrain textures are placed is going to hopefully enable me to
come up with an at least partially automated way of placing photo
scenery tiles.

Is there a LOD system for terrain textures ?

Regards

Mat