Regarding a 737 autopilot, I thought I'd write some comments, here.

Having discussed with Dave C. recently some of the autoflight and/or flight management features of the 737NG airliner, I have investigated using the JSBSim components to model some aspects of these systems. I found that these systems can be modeled with the suite of components offered as part of the JSBSim flight control system model. However, while attempting to model a small part of the flight management capabilities dealing with flight level changes, I found that the logic for the system can get pretty complicated, quickly. Modeling the actual published procedure is not really that difficult. However, modeling the effects of inappropriate command sequences is, frankly, a total WAG. Having done actual flight software modeling, I can say with confidence that writing a simulated flight management system for the 737 would likely approach the amount of work required to write a thesis! :-) First of all, due to the unavailability of the actual flight management software, a guess would have to be made using reference material such as a flight manual. A quick search of the web indicates that flight manuals for currently in-service airliners are not simply given out. Security concerns have limited availability to those with a valid reason. Given that, I also wonder about how smart it would be to model such aspects of airliner operation too closely.

In any case, I intend to work with Dave C. to model at least parts of the flight management system as an exercise.

Jon