Forgive my annoyance, but here are a few more questions. =)

First of all, I am seeing a potential problem when the sun is below the
horizon (during dawn and dusk) and doesn't cast any shadow onto the ground.
Does your code handle this special case at the moment?  If so, how?

Secondly, do objects with illumination (such as the flame from the f-16's
exhaust) disrupt shadows?

Finally, is there a potential for this technique of generating shadow to be
used on generating the effects of spot lights (eg. landing light, taxi light,
logo light, etc.)?

Thanks,
Ampere