On 13 Jul 2005, at 15:36, Andy Ross wrote:

These days, it's usually faster to use indexed vertices.  Strips and

fans are faster because they reduce the number of vertices that need

to be transformed by (and sent to) the hardware by "saving" 1 or 2

from the last triangle drawn.  But modern cards have vertex caches

that are much (!) larger than 1 or 2 entries.

If someone wants to change the terrain format, I'd suggest trying

indexed vertices first -- it's simpler, too.

Whilst wishing to avoid a 'me too' post, I fully agree with this; writing a strip-ifier is a complex job, storing each tile as several, or maybe even one vertex array with indices is easier to generate, involves fewer SSG nodes, and is easier for drivers to optimise on the card, than either fans or strips.

James