On Donnerstag 11 August 2005 10:20, Erik Hofman wrote:
> Andy Ross wrote:
>   > There is a similar spot in FlightGear where something wants to use a
> >
> > pointer as an integer "ID".  I haven't checked these in as this is not
> > really a good solution -- the ID needs to be guaranteed-unique.
>
> I just noticed there is even an id_t in sys/types.h on IRIX, is this
> common?
I don't think so.

The only type I know that is guaranteed to be capable of storing the whole
pointer is a void*. But void* is menat to be not that pure address number in
the properties, it is meant to store some arbitrary property, which is ok so
far.

But I believe that for our problem, it would be sufficient if we just convert
that address to a string and take this string as an id.
That saied how about something like

stringstream s;
s << this;

and then take

s.str()

as that id?

   Greetings

         Mathias

--
Mathias Fröhlich, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]