On Wednesday 14 September 2005 18:03, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> What would people think of abandoning our mailing lists and converting
> over to online/web-based forums?

Personally, I very much prefer mailing lists.  I can quite see the advantages
of web-based forums, but I'm not convinced they outweigh the disadvantages.

For one thing, it's much easier to keep up with the mailing lists, as I
monitor my email through most of the day for real work purposes anyway.  In
contrast, although I do visit some web-based forums now and again, it's very
infrequently, and you have to keep revisiting to see whether anything's been
posted or not - automatic emails to say something's been posted would
obviously be very annoying.

The spam issue I'm not certain I've grasped properly - if you mean that
"moderators" of these lists are getting bombarded with spam that's destined
for the mailing lists, can't this just be automatically dumped?

AJ