On Sunday 23 October 2005 09:14, Buchanan, Stuart wrote:
> I've created a new XML binding file for the USB
> version of the Wingman Force 3D joystick.

I've been using a USB Wingman Force3D stick with FG (under Linux) for quite a
few months now using the current config (OK, a hacked version for my own
setup).  Which axes did you have trouble with?

Never mind, the config file was ripe for updating, so thanks for bringing it
under scrutiny :-)

> Annoyingly the axes assignments are different from the
> Wingman Force 3D (assuming that file is correct), so
> it isn't just a case of adding a new name field to
> wingman-force-3d.xml.

I think we've determined now that one file is all that that's necessary for
this stick and your problem was due to windows assigning the order of the
axes differently to linux?

Following on,

On Sunday 23 October 2005 09:43, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> BTW, this looks fishy, too:
>
>    <property>/controls/engines/engine[0]/throttle</property>
>    <offset type="double">-.3</offset>
>    <factor type="double">-1.0</factor>
>
> Did you write this for an uncalibrated joystick? Really -0.3?

I think has come about because the throttle (on my stick at least, but going
from that entry, probably on others too) does not map nicely from 0 to 1, but
from about 0.25 to 1.  Calibration shouldn't be necessary on this stick, and
it always gives the same values for min and max positions, unlike an
uncalibrated analogue stick that generally gives different numbers each time
it's plugged in until calibrated.

Unfortunately, I've never got round to tweaking the config so that it moves
the throttle value from min right through to max, but I might have a play
with it if I find the time.

Anyway, and most importantly, this _is_ as far as I can tell, a straight
replacement for the current wingman-force-3d.xml, so can we please ensure
that it has the current two <name> tags added to it before it's committed?

As always, I'm ready to be corrected if someone out there has a wingman force
3d stick that doesn't work properly under the new config - mine appears to
after adding the correct <name> tag although I've not tested the rudder part
as I have pedals on a different interface.

As an aside, I much prefer the two big buttons on the base for gear up and
gear down, the left hand set of stick-top buttons for flaps and the RHS ones
for elevator trim, but each to their own and all that - I'm perfectly happy
modifying my own config to do what I want.

Cheers,

AJ