Currently, in CVS FlightGear, it's possible to place an AI thunderstorm in the
FlightGear world which has both turbulence and lightning.  See the AI
scenario called bigstorm_demo.xml.  The turbulence is controlled by each
instance of the thunderstorm, so you could have several storm AI entries,
each one defining an area of turbulence within a specified diameter and with
a specified strength.  (It's hoped that you'll define the turbulence diameter
to correspond to the visual model's diameter.  There is no way for the
AIStorm object, which controls the turbulence, to automatically know the
diameter of the 3D model. )

The lightning however is controlled from one property,
"environment/lightning/flash".  Because of this, if you have more than one
storm they will all flash at the same time.   I was thinking about changing
this so that each instance of a storm will have its own property to be used
as a flash trigger, however it would be best if the flashing could instead be
completely a part of the 3D model animation, with no external trigger needed.

All you experienced modelers, please tell me, is this possible?  Can you set a
piece of a model to flash somewhat randomly using only XML animation code?

Dave