On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Andy Ross wrote:

Something odd is going on -- apparently some other stick's binding for
the right brake only is being picked up by your configuration.  Have
you modified the "name" properties of any of you joysticks files?  Can
you verify that your base package is unmodified?

It wasn't unmodified of course -- have/had to explicitly specify which
joystick I'm using, since FG is not/wasn't identifying it automatically for
me -- maybe had something to do with my USB setup, but I've used that file
modified like that for a long time. Perhaps the automatic identification
works too, if my USB setup is correct nowadays.

I found the cause in my joystick.xml: I had both the default generic joystick
as well as the saitek numbered as js[0]. %-/ (only one physical js attached)

Works like charm now!

But I still think that buttons which use intepolate() shouldn't be marked
as "repeating", and the time in the interpolate call then should be larger
than 75 milliseconds. (One second or half a second maybe. Should depend on
the aircraft in question, I think. But I don't know how real pilots use the
brakes when landing heavy aircrafts or jetfighters.) When the button is
marked as repeating, the first cycle is an interpolation from 0 to 1 in 75
ms, but before the 75ms is ended, another call to interpolate() is made
from whatever the value has reached, to 1.0, and then another interpolate()
etc. This yields a sort of asymptotic curve. Doesn't make sense to me.

Code from Saitek has been copied to other joystick files, so it's the same
for several other joysticks. I'm not even sure if the joystick config files
is the right place to define how brakes are used, i.e. how fast the pilot
apply full or fully release the brakes. It could at least be moved to a
wrapper function in Nasal/control.nas so we don't have to repeat the same
code and constants in numerous js config files.