* Vassilii Khachaturov -- Monday 14 November 2005 12:50:
> http://members.aon.at/mfranz/flightgear/flightgear-howto.html
>
> I'd only suggest to have the world scenery under smth like
> /var/share/FlightGear/WorldScenery
> (maybe share/games) rather than in the FG_ROOT, to make it
> more up-to-date with the current FHS.

Let me clear this up: the fgfs data package is in a defined place:
$FG_ROOT. Therefore it's only logical to make other fgfs ressources
like world scenery available under $FG_ROOT(/WorldScenery/?).
That way different utilities can easily access them.

Of course it's up to the admin if $FG_ROOT/WorldScenery/ is a real
dir or just a link to /var/share/FlightGear or elsewhere. If the
admin maintains the data and (not so) regularly uploads a whole set,
then this will be a regular dir. If he appoints a "FlightGear admin",
then this will probably be a regular dir owned by that admin. And
if he grants users the right to use terrasync, it will be a link
to /var/share/FlightGear/WorldScenery/, or elsewhere. (Of course,
regular users won't be allowed to write to /usr/local.)

All IMHO, of course  :-)
m.