On Saturday 26 November 2005 14:25, Arthur Wiebe wrote:

> The idea is for an aircraft application. This application would
> download (preferrably an XML file) from a server, parse, and through a
> GUI have the ability to select aircraft, see details including
> previews, press a button to download and install.
> The application would guess the most likely places for where to
> install. But let the user change it of course.
> The application would be written in C++ using the wxWidgets framework
> so that it will look and work right on all platforms.

This hypothetical application sounds very much to me like an extension to the
existing fgrun...

> But there's no way I'm going to take it on myself. /me sick of that.
> So any takers? Or is it a rotten idea I should never have posted
> about? Or perhaps even something already discussed.

Personally, I think it's a good idea, particularly for a certain class of
users who often seem to have absolutely no concept of what goes on behind
those mesmerising icons.  At the moment, they either flood the users list
with the same old repetitive emails (which is part of what it's there for, of
course), or much worse, just give up on FG as being "over their heads".

Apps with similar facilities are not uncommon; I'm sure it could be done
fairly easily.

But again, not by me since I'm not a C/C++ programmer and have enough to work
on as it is, even with fgfs related things...

It maybe sounds about right for a project idea for undergraduate students, as
has been requested here recently...

Cheers,

AJ