Steve Hosgood wrote:

> Makes me wonder whether there's an excuse for some new thinking on the
> subject of UI design, regardless of whether a cockpit is 3D or 2D.
> Here's what I propose - please be kind with your comments, I'm not
> trying to dictate terms or tread on anyone's toes:
>

> I propose then that every single instrument on the cockpit has the
> ability to be double-clicked, and if so then a separate draggable window
> appears containing a magnified view of that same instrument. Obviously,
> it will be a *lot* easier to click on buttons and knobs on this
> magnified instrument, though some people with colossal screens won't
> need to bother and can carry on with the normal-size instruments.

Just as a note, this functionality already exists. You can use the mouse
to look around and zoom in. Zoom in, click, zoom out. I do it all the time.

> Just my $0.04
> Now just off to don fireproof suit....

Heh, I'll try to keep the temperature down :)

My personal view is that clicking on a little box on the screen is
nothing at all like reaching out and touching/feeling a knob or switch.
I don't think that the mouse can come anywhere close to providing a real
experience, nor is it capable of even supplying the kind of
effectiveness that a ergonomically designed (real) cockpit can provide.

This is not to say that I am against making everything in the cockpit
clickable, I think it's great that the functionality is there and I try
to provide it when I am designing a cockpit, but I also recognize that
there are a lot of people out there (myself included) that would much
rather use the keyboard, dialog box or pulldown menu.

In short, It's all well and good to add a functionality, but talking
about taking away a functionality that someone wanted enough to go to
the trouble of creating is not productive. If you don't like it, don't
use it. If you want something that doesn't already exist, add it.

Josh