On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 12:00:22 -0600, you wrote:

>What should be disabled? Only the "Autopilot settings" entry, or the
>whole "Autopilot" menu? I wouldn't add this to the KAP140, though,
>but rather to gui.nas' INIT function. (Currently we operate with
>full property paths, and when someone inserts a menu entry, the
>full paths might not address the same menu entry. Better have
>everything in the same place if possible. At least for now.
>I think about adding <name> tags to menu entries that are to be
>disabled/enabled for safe access.)

What if the Autopilot menu entry was bound to a function in gui.nas
that looks at a property for the location of the autopilot dialog. The
default could point to the existing one, but an aircraft could specify
the location for the autopilot it was using. I am not sure this is
possible with the existing way configuration files work.

The existing Autopilot settings menu could be seen as applying to the
default autopilot now, and could be replaced for each autopilot. The
configuration file could even be moved to the generic instruments
folder or somewhere. You could have a null autopilot for when an
aircraft does not define one.

It asks a lot of non-technical users to modify the menubar.xml to add
the dialog for an autopilot. I am happy supporting enabling/disabling
a menu item, but an item still must be added to the menu bar manually,
unless I am missing something.

-sek