On Thursday 08 December 2005 08:51 am, bass pumped wrote:
> I'm trawling for topics to do my masters thesis on.  My interest in
> intelligent flight control.  Anyone have any good ideas??

The money will be in automating air transport, beginning with replacing the
current ATC system with a Freeflight type of system where all the airplanes
deconflict themselves and set up their own arrival spacing.  This is already
being researched, but the more the merrier.  This will allow airplanes to fly
their most efficient paths, which saves lots of fuel, and also takes the
people out of the ATC system, which will save a bundle.

Once that is in place then the automated (pilotless) airplane comes next.
Some hurdles are taxiing and weather avoidance.

Dave