Copied from -users, as I think this is of more interest to -devel

--- Melchior FRANZ <> wrote:
> MP pilots communicate all the time, not over slow email, but via
> instantaneous irc://irc.flightgear.org/flightgear. They talked quite
> a lot about this mysterious "sauviat" yesterday and the day before.

Having FG, The FG Server Map, and an IRC channel open sounds like a lot of
real-estate (though I've never used IRC, so this is pure speculation).

I'm sure this has been discussed before but...

It would be very nice to have free-form text comms within FG itself,
starting on the unicom frequency so the pilot can tune out if they wish.

I guess we'd need to change the ATC display to be multi-line, then display
the incoming messages there, and have a dialog for transmission.

I don't know how we'd handle doing it over UDP - does anyone have a figure
for the packet loss rate we typically get on the MP servers? I wonder
whether we could just accept the ocassional loss of transmission (just
like real life?)

And it would neatly provide some hooks for MP human ATC function...

-Stuart