I was fiddling with enhance runway lighting tonight and was wondering if we are using the distance attenuation extention optimally?

It appears that we specify a point size of 4. As the lights get further in the distance they fade in terms of alpha, but they don't ever get smaller. This makes the lights look really blurry and overlap in the distance ... kind a weird unnatural effect.

The spec seems to imply that it will change the point size until it hits a threshold (default =1.0) and below that it will start fading in alpha to approximate smaller point sizes.

However, with the quadratic coefficients we have, we never seem to get any smaller points, only the alpha fading. This is on an nvidia card.

I played around with the quadratic coefficients and attempted to get smart about fitting the desired function so I could control point size versus distance. But I could never get the point sizes to shrink. In fact, I couldn't really get the display to change at all.

Am I misunderstanding something about the spec? Is there something broke? Does this extention not play well with our directional runway lighting scheme?

I think we ought to be able to do a lot better than what I'm seeing here on my hardware. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Curt.