On Saturday 25 February 2006 22:08, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> Is everyone aware that we *never* free model branches? They
> are only accumulated until fgfs is exited. If you teleport
> from KSFO to LOWW/Europe, then you still have the KSFO
> terminal in memory. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
> Currently we don't have that many individual objects, but as
> people are contributing to the fgdb, this may become a problem
> (textures!). And it certainly will be a problem once I got
> Nasal support for scenery objects into cvs.
>
> m.

<humour>
This is a good observation and marks the point where FG
transitions from the first phase of development into the second
phase, according to the DNA (Douglas N. Adams) theory of
development.

In this theory, the first phase may be symbolised by the
question: How can we eat?  The second phase may be symbolised by
question: Why do we eat? and the third phase by the question:
Where shall we have lunch?
</humour>

Humour aside, this is a very good observation.  FG has reached
the point where it clearly works - how do we do it? Answer: we
do it this way, so the 'how' question is answered.  The 'why'
question then marks the point where you start refining things as
you ask: why do we do this in this particular way?

Sticking my neck out a bit, as I can't offer much in the way of
c++ coding ( I can (could) do COBOL & FORTRAN, but they're not
much use here) I think now would be a good time to think about
re-structuring FG as a long-term goal.

Especially important, imo, is consideration for MP systems, and
just to make it even more appealing for the developers, to make
the graphics distribute-able.

The good news is that I figure that only the grahpics would have
to be synchronous - I reckon that all that other bits of FG
could run asynchronously :)

As for the third question, well...   :)

LeeE