Arnt Karlsen schrieb:
> ..and rightfully so, amule has a search function and the first 2 boxes I
> looked at, had ahem copyrighted music etc in when I fetched K5dvd,
> the second time I looked, everybody behaved like I was RIAA or BSA
> or FBI or something.

A knife can be used to create some very fine food or to murder someone -
so is a knife a bad tool? You should not mix the tool with the actions
it's used for.

P2P technology is perfectly legal (TCP/IP itself is a P2P technology).
The problem arises when people distribute conent where they don't have
the licences to distribute (like most MP3s or movies).
When you distribute GPLed content or you own content (where you issue
any distribution licence to yourself) your action is perfectly legal and
no RIAA, BSA or FBI can do you any harm.

Please note: with P2P you are still only offering files that *you* have
decided to offer. Noone from the outside can make you offer illegal
files. (But you usually offer files that you are downloading or have
been downloading - so you should never download an illegal file)

> ..bottom line is FG _is_ a MSFS competitor, and distributing anything
> FG on P2P where it is possible to find any law shark fodder, allows
> Microsoft bleeding us dry making us pay a lawyer to tell the judge to
> toss out the case everydamned time they find (or lure in) some dork
> with stolen binaries, music etc.  Assuming he does every time, that
> still bleeds us dry paying our lawyer, to have the judge make Microsoft
> pay us costs and damages, he will wanna hear the case, and we can
> only pray for Groklaw coverage.
> Average price for this kinda litigation is US$ 3mill.

It does not matter how (HTTP, FTP, P2P) we distribute FlightGear - as
long as the whole content is legaly licenced under the GPL.
That we are an competitor to MSFS, X-Plane or even Falcon 4.0 is totaly
irrelevant in this case.

> ..I just learned bittorrent is a bit different to a|e|xmule p2p, I used
> amule to fetch Knoppix, and the wise approach is do it on a
> _dedicated_ machine in a DMZ.
> Anyone here with experience on _both_ bittorrent and *mule?

You should always run any processes that allow incoming traffic in a DMZ.

Curt could ask his network administrator for permission to run the
BitTorrent client on the same machine that runs the Web-Server. Then
both can offer the same files without storage overhead. And any
reasonable network admin should be happy about that, as it can promise
to cut down the download traffic a lot!

CU,
Christian