On Tuesday 09 May 2006 06:29, flying.toaster wrote:
[snip...]

> > In many respects the F-14 design is very similar to that of
> > the SU-27 family of aircraft.
>
> True enough, for instance landing gear design (downlocks are
> located on the engine nacelle), poded engines, twin tails,
> blah, blah. But then the Su-27 is much more refined in its
> aerodynamic layout (and quite tempting to model with its
> completely outdated flight avionics suite), even though
> reports seem to indicate that the tomcat *had* (sigh) quite
> amazing high alpha behaviour.

I'm not too surprised about it's high AoA behaviour.  The way in
which I find it similar to the SU-27 family is that they both
use a long chord central lifting body, in to the front of which
is inserted a relatively small fuselage nacelle.  There's no
conventional full-length fuselage, just lots of wing :)

The YF-23 is also quite similar in this respect too, but doesn't
have the 'tunnel' formed by the widely separated engines.

> To answer Mathias Fröhlich kind offer, I have a few docs
> myself (mainly Aerofax volume on the Tomcat), and I am using
> Airliners.net quite intensely. Photos are as important as good
> drawings when you want to go into detail. If I get stuck
> somewhere, I will surely get back to you.

I have a large format book on the F-14 detailing the development,
design, weapons systems, deployment and service but it's quite
old now and doesn't really cover the later models.  There's a
cut-away drawing but I don't remember off hand how detailed it
was.  Quite a few side-view colour-scheme drawings and photos.

Got a DVD on the F-14 too but it isn't that helpful.  Some nice
footage though.

LeeE