What about changing the aerodynamic computation so they take place based
on radius from the earth and at what would be sea level change the air
density to that of water.
Then any object below sealevel "flys under those equations. It would
allow for surface ships and submarines.

And load in the whole terrain map of the world including all
bathespheric data

The water surface could then just be a specialized cloud layer.

That would give a great start.

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:30 am, Steve Hosgood wrote:
> Martin Doege wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve!
>>
>> Naval simulations are great, but if integrating tides into the
>> present-day ocean in FG is such a big technical challenge as it seems
>> to be, I would not think that a "real" ocean with rolling waves,
>> reefs, bathymetry, etc. is right around the corner. I think you would
>> want to have something like in Virtual Sailor or Silent Hunter III and
>> that is simply far removed from the blue plane that is currently the
>> sea in FG.
>
> Hi Martin.
>
> I'm not sure the tides issue is likely to be a "big technical
> challenge" actually. In the space of about 4 postings here, a workable
> scheme was proposed of colouring certain triangles "sea" or "mud"
> according to their datum heights as compared with a local simplified
> tideheight generator.
>
> I can provide the maths for a tideheight generator, the only "problem"
> is providing a suitable set of triangles (tagged with datum heights)
> in a known tidal area. Also, on a tile-by-tile basis, a set of
> (probably four) tidal vectors has to be given.
>
> The graphics engine needs to know how to do the colouring on-the-fly,
> but compared with the magic that the 3D experts on this project have
> already acheived, that'll be done in an evening as soon as someone sets
> out to do it!
>
>> But in general naval simulations don't always need flashy graphics to
>> be fun, so finding a good graphics engine is probably not so important
>> at this point.
>
> I ws intimating that I don't have to find one - I've found it! Right
> here. :-)
>
>> As with all simulations, what really makes them absorbing is the
>> feeling of "being there", and while good graphics don't hurt, good
>> gameplay matters more. For example, the submarine sim Red Storm Rising
>> mostly had only tactical displays to look at that look about as boring
>> as it gets, and yet it was an engaging game and the suspension of
>> disbelief worked well.
>
> That's about what the current "surprise" program (windoze or linux)
> has. It's really just a wrapper around the "FDM" to let the "FDM" be
> used for something.
>
>> So instead of hoping for great seascapes from FG/SimGear in the near
>> (or not so near) future, I would first improve your existing "FDM",
>> add the ocean, include navigation aids, etc.
>
> Stars, sun and a stopwatch. That's all you get!
> Ok. Ok, I'm joking of course. That's all you get in the 18th century,
> but if sailing ships worm their way into the FG world, they'll be
> usable in any timeframe. After all, tall ships are still with us in the
> 21st century.
>
>> Cannons and a damage model should also be added since you are
>> mentioning Hornblower.
>
>> As in Sid Meier's Pirates!, the crew should also be simulated, [giant
>> snip]

> [...]
Bush's family and Saudi partners make higher profits/prices by
preventing Saddam's huge Iraqi oil reserves from ever being sold.
They'll Enron the world - George Watson 2001

For Hurricanes
www.globalboiling.com
For solar wind and earthquakes
www.electricquakes.com

Typos caused by two inch mobile phone keyboard