Hi,

On Wednesday 26 July 2006 19:20, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> We had talked about abstracting out the raw gl-commands into just
> one file, and then to use plib wrappers to plug the HUD into the
> scene graph. The plib wrappers could eventually get replaced by osg
> wrappers.
>
> The abstraction is still a goal, and so is plugging the HUD into
> the scene graph. But I think now that using plib/osg wrappers is
> a bad idea. This would prevent us from using some gl features for
> absolutely no good reason (e.g. line width, clipping, ...). And
> finally, ogl *is* a standard, while neither plib nor osg are. So
> why leaving the standard? Raw gl-code can still be plugged into
> the scene graph via callbacks, and the only thing that the wrappers
> would buy us is management of state changes for performance reasons.
> But the HUD code doesn't change that much, and this can be done
> manually, too.
>
> Why exactly would we want to limit ourselves?  :-}
Because it is not a limitation but rather a gain. A *well* *done* and *well*
*supported* scenegraph will help you some much more than you probably can
imagine now.
In fact, a proper design - like a well done scenegraph provides - will enable
such features in a much less error prone and more efficient way.
Also a *supported* scenegraph that is developed further will make use of
improovements in OpenGL that an unsupported one like plib's ssg will never
see. ssg forces you to do many things yourselves in a probably less efficient
way with direct OpenGL calls, that can be done with a smarter implementation
without such direct OpenGL commands.
There is nothing in OpenGL you cannot do with osg. But there is nowerdays
nearly everything from current OpenGL features - even some basic ones like
clip planes - that is missing in ssg, so that you need to implement that
yourselves ...
Having that will be much more of a gain that a limitation ...

So why should we limit ourselves in the long term with ssg?

   Greetings

             Mathias