Hello,

I want to introduce some example code for what I personally miss in every
actually flight simulator: realtime radio.

First let me introduce myself: I am a network technician working for
a provider. I used flight simulators from time to time (my first one was
FS2 on the Amiga and before Boing711 on a VIC-20). My job specialization is
Voice over IP. I have no pilot license but I am very interested in
flying around with simulators :-)

I used flightgear some times and I tried FS2004. The ATC-feature of FS2004
is nice but not really good. My dream is to have an ATC-Applikation and
something like a radio with different frequencies connected to other sim-flyers.

My idea is to use already functionally VoIP implemenations for a radio. Why
to reinvent the wheel and built proprietary protocols when we have very good
software around?

I have used Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org) and configured this especially
for "radio use". In VoIP you do not need necessarily a number for your
destination.  You can also use a string, like 119.650 (the frq of EGNX
Approach).

On the client side I used the libiaxclient. With this library you can build
with not much effort a VoIP client which uses the IAX protocol. IAX has the
advantage that you can use it very good behind NAT-Firewalls. With this
small (example) client you can actaull reach 4 demonstration targets.

For example:

$ ./fg_com1 119.650

With this command you get a connection to the hard coded testing asterisk
"ATC" server. Behind this frq there is an echo application. You hear what
you say. You have to press the <blank> key for speaking. Otherwise the mic is
muted. You can exit the program with the key "q". (Ok the sources are a
quick hack for demonstration!)

Building of the client should also be quite simple. You need the libiaxclient
and libspeex. Look with ldd "inside" the binary and you can see which
libraries are used or contact me.

There are four frq configured:

; EDDT Tower
124.525         - Conference Room. All flyers on this frq can talk to each other

; EDDF ATIS
118.025         - A MP3 (ATIS) is played

; KLAX ATIS
133.800         - A MP3 (ATIS) is played

; EGNX Approach
119.650         - Simple echo box demo

PLEASE NOTE: This is an example and I am not responsible for anything you
destroy on YOUR machine! Contact me if you have problems with this code.

You can find the binary and the sources of the client here:
http://www.b.shuttle.de/midips/fg_com1-demo.tar.gz

To my mind it is a simple and stable solution quite for larger radio networks
based on asterisk. What is your opinion? Is there a chance to integrate the
code into flightgear in combination with the COM1 on the screen?

If there is a chance I will try to do this (with much help of the developers
because I don't know the program hooks where to put the code). Possible that
there is also a way to create an ATC application (as a "guest" flyer which
can parse the multi user protocol). In combination with realtime radio
this should be a great improvement of the multi player functions.

Regards, Holger

--
#####  #### ##  ##   Holger Wirtz         Phone : (+49 30) 884299-40
##  ## ##   ### ##   DFN-Verein           Fax   : (+49 30) 884299-70