Great news! Thank you very much for the porting.

> The rain stuff as well as the render surface stuff is nothing too complicated
> and already available in osg, but that needs to be done and tested.
[SNIP]
> The 3d clouds are something to think about. osg can assist here but I need to
> think about that.

I'll be happy to try to help to port/switch these. Of the above, I don't
  quite find my way around the 3d clouds code, so I'll be starting with
the rain/lightnings when the check-in is done; meanwhile I'll read about
the OSG - never been into anything except overviews there. BTW, current
rain (as opposed to lightning) is not branching the scene graph via
plib, but rather directly drawing stuff through GL primitives; I
wouldn't be surprise it it works as is (with the same ugly artifacts...)
I'll try to properly port it to OSG. I'm especially happy about the OSG
transition as I have some multitexturing-based rain prototype in the
works, and I was unhappy about further direct GL ugly hacking needed
because of that, as plib has no m/t support. AFAIU, OSG does have it, so
it's really great news.

Since for the porting I'll have to use both branches, I'll be using both
of them wherever you put the OSG stuff. Personally, I agree that the
HEAD is the way to go.

Vassilii