Hi,

> i compiled it using MSVC8, i did follow your instructions, Olaf, taken
> from your homepage.
>
> The problem is: FG crashes every time I try to start it. By running
> the --log-level=debug option I found out that it quits at the point of
> "initializing scenery subsystem" giving out a standard MS
> Windows error message "FlightGear has experienced and problem and
> therefore had to be closed."

Could you please try to run it in the debugger and give the
traceback/Call Trace? Where does it crash exactly.

Maybe you have to add run time options: Right Click on  Flightgear in
the Solution Explorer and  Choose Properties Configuration
Properties/Debugging (for instance --fg-root=..... )

> What could be the reason for it?
> I compiled FG 0.9.10, using the dependencies precompiled from Olaf's
> website. I applied the patch given for the pLib files and SimGear
> compiled and linked well and quite easy without further problems.
> I then had some problems while linking FlightGear with a bunch of
> errormessages but I finally managed to fix them by doing soem changes
> in the properties of MSVC8 (I m really new to this IDE). Is there a
> common problem when having installed FG with Cygwin and FG with MSVC
> on the same machine?
In the case you leave the file-trees seperated, no problem. Please do
not try to mix cygwin libs with msvc compiled libs. What kind of
errormessages did you got?

> Because I read something about this somewhere in the Net, saying that
> the openal .dll-files would cause problems in that case....

Can you double check that you are using the OpenAL redistributable from
Creative? You may use the dependency walker
http://www.dependencywalker.com/.

Olaf