On 12/12/06, Martin Spott wrote:

Hi Curt,

"Curtis Olson" wrote:

> The NetFDM packet structure is designed to work across platforms and the
> data field sizes and types are somewhat carefully chosen to avoid
packing
> differences between compilers.

Hmmm, isn't NetFDM the "copy the struct to a network packet"-interface
or did I mix between two different network interfaces of FlightGear ?
At least this is what I read from earlier explanations and actually
this is as well the reason why I cancelled one project that was meant
to drive FlightGear as its display system ....

Yes, NetFDM is what you say, but we've made sure all our data aligns on 4
byte boundaries, we only use 4 or 8 byte data structures, and we send
everything in network byte order.  With these rules, you would be hard
pressed to find a system that is incompatible.  (This actually was prompted
by some developers at mathworks who have a lot of customers that want to use
FlightGear to visualize their simulink flight dynamics models.)

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson - University of Minnesota - FlightGear Project
http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/  http://www.humanfirst.umn.edu/