Dene wrote:

> Having been involved with this project I think that part of Arnt's
> original post is fuelled by the difficulty in turning TaxiDraw output
> into something that can be used by FGFS.

I personally don't care much abount Arnt's concerns, I'm convinced that
he's never ever understood how TaxiDraw output really looks like and
how it works - otherwise he would have realized that his recent
proposal sounded pretty stupid ....

Still I agree with you that the process of creating Scenery - even
though the technical side is pretty nifty - has some drawbacks when it
comes to handling this process. I think there is some hen-and-egg
problem hiding here:

The software-toolchain that is called "TerraGear" features a
significant complexity and therefore Curt dislikes the idea of having
everyone modifying the source of it. So he's the only one who has the
ability to change things. I do understand Curt's attitude here. Nobody
wants to take responsibility for such a complex beast when you're at
risk of pouring numerous hours in bug fixing, just because some person
wasn't aware of the scope of his fix he added to the source base.

Everyone knows that Curt is a very busy man. Actually it takes you
several months and multiple reminders to convince him to apply even a
simple patch. As a result of this, those few people who _do_ have the
knowledge of how TerraGear-tools work (I'm not talking of myself here),
don't feel significantly motivated to improve the current state ....
Finally TerraGear mostly remains as it is.

I'd propose to Curt to let at least few others work on TerraGear as
well without being required to ask for his blessing of every single
patch. I assume that such a move is suitable to motivate people at
least to put a little bit of effort in cleaning up the TerraGear source
- which might serve as a good start for further improvement.

Cheers,
        Martin.