Ralf Gerlich wrote:

> Of course, TaxiDraw is not limited to creating apt.dat data as Durk's AI
> extension shows.

Maybe we can inspire the involved developers to head for a joint effort
of TaxiDraw- and FGSD-development here ....  ;-)

The upcoming 'standard' for editing geographic vector data appears to
be "WFS-T". This is a data interchange method that is best used at
smaller areas - because it uses XML - and is based on HTTP, thus
allowing operation even over a HTTP proxy. Interested parties are
invited to read here:

  http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOSDOC/WFS/
  http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/GOWS/WFS/
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_Markup_Language/

We're in the progress of offering such service for the Landcover-DB
which then allows to edit not only lakes, forest, roads and rivers but
we'd offer a repository of elevation contour lines as well. Current
status of our geodata repository is here:

  http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Geodata_Repository#PostGIS_serving_vector_data

Have fun,
        Martin.