On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, tangyong wrote:

> Hi,everybody. My project need to drive many aircraft to fly autonomouslly
> using ATC radar data.My radar data contains many aircrafts' flight data.I
> set up a FlightGear server(fgms) in my local network and what I need to
> do is just inputing my radar data(each client has a unique callsign) to
> the fgms.Then the fgms and the FlightGear will do all the thing I need.Is
> that right?

That depends on what it is you need of course. ;)

> But my problem is that my radar data only contains position
> information(lat,lon and alt).

Then that's all you can display that aren't guessed values.

> What's the use of these variables in FG?
"orientation" is where the nose of the aircraft is pointing
"linearVel" is it's velocity vector (whereto it's flying)
"angularVel": angular velocity vector (how it is rotating)
and then the corresponging acceleration vectors

This data is used for displaying the orientation, velocity and
accelerations of the aircrafts in the simulation at the receiver of the
datagrams. Since the position is only updated at intervals (shortly after
the reception of each datagram), the velocity value is used for displaying
it in the meantime, between updates.  If velocity was zero but position
changes, then the aircraft would jump between positions at each new
datagram.

If the heading (included in "orientation") is zero, the nose of the
aircraft will always point north (I presume), regardless of where it's
flying. And so on. Of course, that may look funny in the simulation. But
that's as good as it can be without any data about orientation, velocity
and accelerations.

You could simply set the unknown data to zeros to begin with, to comply to
the protocol. (and live with aircrafts jumping around with their noses always
pointing north and never banking in turns)

Or you could try to design an algorithm to calculate/predict/guess them.
And then you have to find a compromise between correctness and time delay,
according to the sampling theorem. And live with strange flying aircraft
each time you guess wrong, depending on how much time delay you can
accept. (Aftermath is the only truly exact science.)