--- "gh.robin" wrote:
> We have some huge file doc in .pdf format
> That format is very difficult to be read, directly on screen, only one
> Way, to
> print it.
>
> Why that format ? , why don't we have the html format ?
> How to translate that doc from .pdf to .html.

I assume you are referring to The FlightGear Manual (aka The Getting
Started Guide).

The actual format for The Manual is Latex. This source is then converted
to PDF or HTML as required.

The HTML version is available here:

http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/getstart/getstart.html

However, as it is converted from the Latex source, it isn't as easy to
read as a pure HTML document. There is certainly room for improvement in
that area.

Personally, I find the PDF version much easier to read than the HTML, even
on a computer screen, though I refer users to the HTML version in the
forum as it is easier to provide a direct link to a section.

If the manual was in HTML, it would have a number of distinct
disadvantages in comparison with a Latex source:
- it would not print well - the PDF we generate is type-set and
appropriate for publishing as an actual book
- the text would display differently on different browsers
- contributers would waste time typsetting rather than contributing text.

-Stuart

Inbox full of unwanted email? Get leading protection and 1GB storage with All
New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html