On 01/28/2007 04:43 PM, Martin Spott wrote:

> [last week] I applied the patch which implemented your 'semi-transponder'
> right the next day. Anything wrong with this ?

Definitely not wrong!  Thanks!

Indeed this week's patches are dependent on last week's
patches.  Only a few lines of last week's patches needed
to be backed out to make way for this week's work.

> Well, you see: Communication between developers is a nice thing and we
> practice this quite often, cross-checking isn't that bad either  ;-)

Spoken like a true pilot.

Those who can read and write the project CVS repository presumably
find CVS very convenient.

Meanwhile it would be wise to occasionally think about how things
look to other contributors, i.e. those who cannot directly write
to the repository.

Such contributors find CVS vastly less convenient.  It is a big
hassle to manage patches, even when there are only one or two
people working on something.  That's because when a patch has
been submitted, there is no way to know when or even if it will
be committed to the project CVS repository.  Collaborators must
trade patches hand-to-hand, without going through CVS.  Later,
if/when the patch is committed, CVS gets upset if it sees
patches that have already been applied.

Just to generate accurate patches, contributors need to keep
around two copies of each affected file:  "our" latest version,
and the latest "cvs" version.  There are, of course, ways of
doing this, but it's a whole lot more error-prone than just
saying "cvs update ; cvs diff -u ...."

Bottom line:  Two points:
  -- Flightgear is not the first project to face this situation.
   It would be nice to have some decent tools to support a
   project-within-project development model.
  -- In the meantime, don't be surprised if there are occasional
   misunderstandings about what is covered by this-or-that patch.
   Patient communication will be required.