On Monday 12 February 2007 17:54, Jim Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
> Curtis has already hinted as to how the following may be done with his
> "remote" FDM.
> To my mind flightgear can be broken down into distinct plugin
> "modules". There is the FDM, the "external world" visualisation,the
> cockpit input and output (ie joystick,pedals,switches and displays) and
> possibly a motion system. These can be interconnected with some inter
> process communication scheme. All of the modules could be run on a SMP
> hardware (e.g dual dual-core cpus) or on separate computers. There has
> been some discussion on multi-threading which would handle the first
> (via shared memory IPC perhaps) but without an operating system that
> can migrate threads to other networked processors then I think a more
> flexible approach may be "self-contained" modules communicating by
> passing "properties" over TCP. The "remote" FDM is already a
> possibility and there is an example of a remote joystick but how easy
> would it be to break up the rest of flightgear? Any ideas anyone?
> cheers
> Jim

I too think that this would be the best approach for making FG MPP compatible.

The greatest cpu hog, so I believe, is the graphics subsystem but even though
the other subsystems don't require as much processing power they are still
limited in the resources they get.  For example, while I was doing a couple
of tests for what appears to be an A/P problem I noticed that the rate of the
controllers were varying even though I'd specified a <Ts> period.  This is
certainly going to result in some unpredictable behaviour across different
systems and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other subsystems are
equally limited in their rates.

LeeE