On 02/12/2007 07:24 PM, Dave Perry wrote:

> This looks really slick,

:-)

> ... why is this patch good above the troposphere (> 100,000 ft.)?  It
> should give the same answer as the last patch, only much more
> efficiently.

The tabulated numbers come from a three-layer model, namely
layers 0 through 2 as defined in the table at the front
of this reference:
   http://www.av8n.com/physics/altimetry.htm
See also references therein.

You can check the foregoing assertion by looking at the
table-entries at the critical (layer-boundary) altitudes.

Yesterday's effort used only layer zero, which is why it was
valid only within the troposphere, 36000 ft MSL and below.

[snipped several more questions, all with the same answer]

> As was pointed out, once you are above the "transition zone", S = 29.92
> and C(S) = 0.  How about an "if" to avoid the second interpolation in
> this case?

As you also pointed out, why not just cache P(S) and re-use it
in the overwhelmingly likely case that S is unchanged since
last time?

> I am glad you changed your mind!

It wasn't much of a change.  My previous point was that /small/
changes were a waste of time; making yesterday's code 2x faster
would have been a total waste.

I also haven't changed my mind about the following:

> What I am proposing is to create a C++ function (say height_ft) that has
> two arguments, P0 and P1 that does the interpolation in John's new patch
> using his constants.

That is the same spirit as what I was suggesting in the opening
paragraphs of:
  http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/README.altimetry.html

 > When will you put this in cvs?

Ha, funny joke.