Thanks to all for the input... the collaboration of many is what makes FG so
great in my opinion.

I still plan to eventually add some sort of dogfighting capability,
HOWEVER,... I plan to start in the area detailed by this
document<http://wiki.flightgear.org/flightgear_wiki/images/1/1e/New_FG_architecture.pdf>.
(thanks to Lorne McIntosh) I believe the changes detailed in the
architecture will benefit all participants of FG by taking advantage of
multi-core systems and future developments in parallelism.  It also brings
me a bit closer to my own goal of dogfighting by giving me the FDM server/
client separation that I need.
For those concerned with non-dogfighting, please rest assured that I will
code a "turn off dogfighting" option that will make all weapons invisible
and they will have no effect on the player.  (you would still see the
dogfighting planes circling each other, just nothing else).  This option
would be turned off by default.  If you want to participate in a dogfight,
it will take an action on the part of the user to enable that feature.

I encourage more discussion on this topic.  I enjoy and benefit from reading
the opinions and information others have to offer.
If anyone in the FG community has begun work on the architecture changes in
the document above (or would like to) please contact me.

Regards
James

On 5/11/07, Vivian Meazza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Detlef Faber

> Am Donnerstag, den 10.05.2007, 23:55 +0200 schrieb Maik Justus:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what's about using separate server(s) (not connected to the
> > "classical" servers) for the dogfight mode? If you log on a
> > "classical" server, you would have no dogfight capability.
> >
> > Maik
>
> I'd agree to seperate the "combat ready" flying from the
> "peaceful" flying. There is no reason why both environments
> should see each other at all.
> Nevertheless it should be a matter of choice which
> environment one wishes to use. This way nobody can get
> offended (If I fly in combat mode I have to be aware someone
> else could shoot at me).
>
> Adressing the concerns about combat flying, I agree to Curt,
> that FlightGear is an Open Source Project. This means anybody
> is free to work on whatever topic he/she wishes.
>
> Of course this doesn't mean to ignore the valid concerns of
> the other participants. I think it is very important that
> those who do not wish to use combat functionality can use the
> Multiplayer feature in the known way.
>
> Flightgear aims to be realistic, so anyone who likes to play
> games will notice, that in Reality combat flying is not as
> easy as those commercially available "sims" pretend.
> Just intercepting an AI Aircraft on a known course is not
> easy. Most "dubious clientele" will get offended by this.
>
> However my Interest in combat flight is a rather
> technical/historical interest. My aircraft are most WW2
> aircraft, and I've learned a lot by creating them, digging
> through books and other historic documents.
>
> For a pilot interested in aircraft of that aera the "combat
> mode" is simply a part of the aircraft history, and should be
> possible to explore. That doesn't mean Flightgear will become
> a "shoot em up game".

Hmm - at least for the Brit ac we would need to make the gyro gun sight
work
and calculate lead angles. That'll be a challenge! I don't think I'll
tackle
that one for a while. Perhaps after I do the RWR with Alexis.

Vivian

James Palmer