Hi!

Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> --- Martin Spott wrote:
> <snip>
>>>  It would be nice if some kind person would build new scenery for
>>>  Oshkosh and make it availble. I know it's a big request.
>> Well, to get an idea you could start by reading this tutorial:
>>
>>   http://www.custom-scenery.org/Building-Scener.331.0.html
>>
>> .... especially the part "Creating the vector training layer". The
>> steps described there are something that people with knowledge of the
>> local entourage could contribute for building local scenery.
>
> That's a great tutorial. The training layer tools should make improving
> local scenery much, much easier.
>
> I noticed that there was a TODO section for actually building the scenery.
> It would be really great to have an updated TerraGear tutorial. I had
> TerraGear working happily a couple of years ago, but haven't re-visited it
> as I didn't understand the changes for shape-files.
>
> Presumably one uses v.extract and v.out.ogr to get a shapefile, then
> shape-decode to convert it by attribute into the "traditional" TerraGear
> directory structure?

You don't need v.extract. Export the whole layer using v.out.ogr, and
then either split (and reproject) using ogr2ogr or do both using my
ogrdecode tool for TerraGear, which I have sent in a patch to Curt a
long time ago ;-) But that patch is also in the fgfs-builder.

And as a side node: We are planning to actually do an Oshkosh scenery
using Landsat data. The more experiments and experience we have with
that procedure, the better.

Cheers,
Ralf