Durk Talsma

> Sent: 03 July 2007 06:36
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] crash in AI traffic

> [Lot's a latin skipped for clarity]
>

> > Perhaps you recall this thread: "C++ code beautifier /
> > Codingstandardsproposal"
> >
> > Seems to me that we are just revisiting these issues.
> >

> ...which is actually complete nonsense. Didn't I send you a
> preview of the
> latest patch, asking for a second opinion and potential MSVC
> issues? And now
> you're suggesting this patch was insufficiently tested,
> without mentioning
> this very fact? That's rather unfair, isn't it?

Yes, you sent the patch to me, and I welcomed that. You will recall, I fixed
one bug and reported another. But I also suggested that you submit the patch
to this list for a fuller review and comment, and pointed out that my
testing was incomplete.

> Please accept one fact. Code breakage does happen, whether we
> like it or not.
> I certainly don't like it, and I'm not intentionally trying
> to break code. It
> has happened to me in the past that someone else broke code I
> worked on. I
> don't like, it but usually I just go, find the problem,
> suggest a workaround,
> and notify the developer breaking the code of the proposed
> solution. As an
> example, the --start-date options were broken for quite some
> time, and even
> some code submitted by "The Man" himself once upon a time
> broke AI taxi
> behavior. Did I get mad about it? I don't recall.

Of course code breakage happens. But in an ideal world, it shouldn't get
into cvs. It makes us all look unprofessional. Proper peer review can help
prevent this. At least it gives others, perhaps more expert than us a chance
to spot things that we have missed. I missed the exit thing (I won't next
time!): others might have seen it and raised objections, and suggested
improvements before it all got into cvs. Then we can all move ahead
together. Surely that's not too much to ask?

Remember: P 6 - Piss Poor Peer-review Prevents Proper Performance

Vivian