Sebastian Bechtold wrote:
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:31:30 +0200 (CEST)
>> From: Heiko Schulz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Hmmm.... sounds like the flat textures which MSFS
>> has...
>> I like the way it is, because with the material you
>> have some informations about bumbiness and so on...

> Thus, my plan is not to do so.
>
> All I want to do is implementing an alternative system for
> how textures are applied to the terrain triangles. You won't
> lose the ground properties (friction, bumpiness etc.) defined
> by the materials with that, since they are defined independent
> of the textures. Triangles with the material "road" will still
> behave like roads, but my plan would, for example, make it possible
> to render markings onto them, or draw softly rounded curves.
> Both things are not possible with the current method (at least
> not without throwing millions of additional triangles at the problem
> and regenerate the terrain mesh to apply each and every change).

I have been thinking about this approach as the way to go for all
terrain texturing in the future. The 2d terrain overlay textures would
be rendered at runtime at whatever resolution is necessary to look good.
I wouldn't apply this scheme to airports, which would be special insets.

> My envisioned ideal solution would make it possible to toggle this
> feature with a command line parameter or config file entry. If you
> don't want it, just don't enable it, and you'll get exactly the same
> thing as you get right now. I don't yet know enough about how
> the program works to appreciate if this is possible (for me) or not,
> but at the moment, I don't see a serious show stopper. I hope I made
> this more clear now.

This is going to be messy; you're going to have to dive into the code of
FlightGear, SimGear, and probably TerraGear too.

The terrain mesh created by TerraGear has texture coordinates that are
appropriate for the surface texture in each triangle. You're either
going to have to generate alternate meshes -- with a more uniform
texture coordinate scheme -- from TerraGear, or you're going to need to
use OpenGL TexGen stuff to generate the appropriate texture coordinates
at runtime. Remember that all the geometry is in earth-centric
coordinates :)

So, I don't mean to be discouraging because I think this is ultimately
the right approach in terms of bumping up terrain detail and
implementing terrain and texture LOD, but you have a lot of hacking
ahead of you.

Tim