Be aware that the master copies of all the README.xxx files come from the
source tree, not the data tree.  They are only replicated in the data tree
for convenience.

Here's my view.  The README.xxx are there to collect tidbits of information
not documented elsewhere or that didn't really fit elsewhere or that wasn't
really formally written up in an official way.  If someone were to update
and move all the information from a README.xxx file over to the official
manual, then I wouldn't have a problem with that particular README.xxx file
going away.

I personally would not be in favor of just dumping them all as they exist
into a single large file.  I like the division and the easy ability to
edit/update them.  But at some point, if something is deamed important
enough to go into the official manual, then that's great, let's do it.

Regards,

Curt.