Hans Fugal

> Sent: 26 July 2007 01:14
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
> Subject: [Flightgear-devel] Broken Clouds
>

> Textures/Sky/broken.rgba seems to be literally just that,
> broken. Or rather, corrupted. As do scattered, few, and
> cirrus. fg/osg (but not
> plib) frequently crashes and I've traced it down to the cloud
> cover (clouds == likely crash, or crazy sky as in
> http://hans.fugal.net/tmp/fg/fgfs-screen-007.png, no clouds
> == probably no crash).
>
> ImageMagick does not think these corrupted (identify(1)
> should return nonzero if it encounters a corrupted file), but
> some of them are obviously not being interpreted correctly by
> ImageMagick. Try "display cirrus.rgba" to see what I mean.
> Unfortunately this means we can't just use convert(1) or
> mogrify(1) to fix the files that are broken.
>
> On the other hand opening them in Gimp they all look as they
> should. I saved them as PNG and then ran "convert $i.png
> sgi:$i.rgba", and the crashes went away. Melchior says that
> gimp sometimes creates corrupt SGI files, and this is the
> likely root of the problem.
>
> I haven't been able to figure out a way to systematically
> identify corrupt SGI files (no doubt there are some more out
> there), but I'm moderately confident that this takes care of
> the Sky textures.
>
> Please import the fixed textures into CVS from
> http://hans.fugal.net/tmp/fg/Sky , or someone close to
> textures might prefer to fix them himself. Here's what
> identify returns on the files in my Textures/Sky directory:

Snip ...

I have never seen or heard of any problem with osg and clouds of any sort.
Xnview reports no errors in cirrus.rgba, or with any of the textures.
Perhaps you have corrupted the clouds textures locally? Did you open them in
any editor before you saw the weird effects? Of course, people might be just
accepting the weirdness, and not reporting it.

Vivian