Durk,

> Sent: 26 October 2007 07:18
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Unknown failure while
> Initializingsubsystems on win32 and Fedora 7 x86_64
>

> On Thursday 25 October 2007 21:39, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > * Durk Talsma -- Thursday 25 October 2007:
> > > Probably the best course of action is to send a friendly
> reminder to
> > > the plib list, and if it doesn't happen again, stick to plan B.
> >
> > Yes, but I won't do that. I did it on 2007/04/02, and the question
> > remained unanswered. The last posting before that was two
> and a half
> > months earlier, and the next was two months later. There are nicer
> > places to be ignored.
>
> I'll ask. FWIW, I am also very skeptical that it will lead to
> anything, as I'm
> afraid plib is close to dying. Nevertheless, I'd like to ask,
> as courtesy to
> the well intended people over there (in particular John Fay,
> who's put a lot
> of effort into keeping plib going).
>

> > I'm a bit impatient with plib, and I think that integrating
> the code
> > into fgfs becomes more and more desirable. Which is also a
> reason why
> > I would like to have the fgfs code cleaned up w.r.t. to the
> GUI parts.
> > But I can commit my one year old patch right after the
> release, too.
> > It would just be a pity if people continued to use the broken plib
> > version out of laziness (and because we don't force them to use the
> > fixed one. :-)
> >
> IIRC, my plan B was something like, If plib manages to do a
> new release before
> we're ready for 0.9.11, we use that one. If not, we still use
> 1.8.4, and give
> them until the release of 0.9.12 (or whatever FG version
> number is next). If
> by then, we still haven't seen a new release, we fork our own
> versions of the
> relevant libraries.
>
> Assuming we stick to the plan of releasing one more plib
> version and then
> switch over to OSG, how much of plib do we still depend upon?
> The scene graph
> and the audio lib are already replaced by OSG and openal, so
> I guess it's
> joystick code and pui? Anything else?

The problem with this plan is that OSG is simply not fit for purpose, at
least not here. If you think the stuttering was a problem in plib, it's
twice the problem in osg. Yes, the animations are better implemented, and
the pick animation is particularly good, but frame rates are about 2/3rds
that of plib, and we still lack random objects, 3d clouds, shadows, and the
ordinary clouds aren't anything to write home about either. Even the
much-vaunted particles are broken if you look at them closely.

Of particular concern is that there has been no real progress for 12 months
now.

I'm sure we all know all of this, but perhaps it was worth restating.

Regards,

Vivian