I noticed we have a Jeep vehicle that has been added to CVS and remembed
that I have access to a snowplow/truck model from a past life.  The model is
in an older version of the open-flight format.  I can pull it up in
osgviewer and the geometry is all there, but it doesn't seem to have any of
the material properties.  Would anyone out there be interested in fiddling
with the model and maybe making the body orange and the tires black?  It
looks like blender has an open-flight importer (called "blight") :-)
Actually it would be even better if we could animate the wheels and make
them steer and roll (and maybe even animate the suspention a tiny amount so
the wheels would bounce up and down over the bumps?

If we can get the truck model looking halfway ok in flightgear, I might try
to promote using it in one of our classes here that does a vehicle control
project.  The students would be writing a steering controller (i.e. powering
a motor that would move the steering wheel towards a desired wheel angle) to
run the truck down a road and hopefully even stay within the lane.

This modeling effort would be in support of a university class so there's no
money to offer, but I'm happy to pass along any fame and glory that comes of
this to whoever wants to help.

If it did work out, then we'd be able to plow the snow off our flightgear
runways in the winter time.

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/
Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d