Curtis Olson wrote:
| On Jan 25, 2008 8:31 AM, STEPHEN THISTLE wrote:
|
|     I am relatively new to flight gear and am interested in using it as
|     a visualization tool for UAV's. I would like to replace the fg
|     scenery with images captured from a camera onboard an aircraft. I
|     was wondering if there is any way to import images into flightgear
|     on the fly. The basic goal would be to show live video where
|     available and fall over to flight gear visuals when the feed is
|     lost(using a custom view from the camera perspective) .I am not sure
|     if this is currently possible but I would like to explore the idea
|     either using external tools or contributing to fg. Also a link to
|     some documentation on the fg architecture especially how it handles
|     the visualizations would be greatly appreciated.
|

| I don't think there's any current way to do this.  However, I think what
| is needed is to link in some video capture library to do frame grabs
| from your video camera as quickly as possible.  Then do whatever bit
| fiddling is needed to scale/convert the raster image to an opengl
| texture.  Then draw this texture on a quad that is aligned correctly
| relative to the camera.  It might be possible to get fancy and alpha
| blend the edges a bit.

Getting live video onto a texture is pretty standard stuff in the OpenSceneGraph
community, I believe. You might want to ask on the osg-users mailing list.

| Given an image and the location and orientation of the camera, it would
| be possible to locate world coordinates across a grid on that image.
| That would allow a  quick/crude orthorectification where the image could
| be rubber sheeted onto the terrain.  This would take some offline
| processing, but you could end up building up a near real time 3d view of
| the world than could then be viewed from a variety of perspectives.  The
| offline tools could update the master images based on resolution or
| currency ... that's probably a phd project for someone, but many of the
| pieces are already in place and the results could be extremely nice and
| extremely useful (think managing the effort to fight a dynamic forest
| fire, or other emergency/disaster management, traffic monitoring,
| construction sites, city/county management & planning, etc.)  I could
| even imagine some distrubuted use of this so that if you have several
| uav's out flying over an area, they could send their imagery back to a
| central location to update a master database ... then the individual
| operators could see near real time 3d views of places that another uav
| has already overflown.

If you want to see a view of the terrain updated by the UAV's camera, then
nothing
needs to be done offline. Assuming you have accurate position and orientation
data from
the UAV, you can project its imagery directly on the terrain as a projected
texture.

| If we started building up more functionality in this area, there are a
| lot of different directions we could take it, all of which could be
| extremely cool.

Yup...
Tim