Dear FlightGear developers,(a short introduction first: I'm a newcomer to
FlightGear, my professional profile can be found at
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gotthard) May I ask whether you would be interested
on striving to make FlightGear compliant with the US DoD High Level
Architecture (HLA)? It could make FlightGear more attractive. I found that 1)
several FlightGear multiplayer server feature requests at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fgms suggest to introduce - subscription-based
property management - customizable set of propagated properties - more
efficient data propagation mechanism - global status for date/time, weather, AI
object positions 2) also the description of "A New Architecture for FlightGear
Flight Simulator" proposes a distributed FlightGear architecture, which would
allow all users to see the same AI
objectshttp://wiki.flightgear.org/flightgear_wiki/images/1/1e/New_FG_architecture.pdf I
 believe that especially the HLA Declaration Management and Data Distrib
 ution Management perfectly match the above mentioned demands.Just look at
Fig.2 in http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dominique.canazzi/paper.html. It's nothing
that can be achieved in a few days, but I think it's feasible. To have a
perfect solution we'd need to (probably in this order) - turn the FlightGear
multiplayer server into a HLA RTI (run-time environment) - implement the
multiplayer protocol according to HLA standards - factor out (extract) the
non-aircraft objects (weather, AI objects, ATC server, etc.) to enable global
status What is your opinion? I want to start developing a HLA RTI first, so (if
you're interested) there will be plenty of time to discuss the requirements and
architectural issues. One answer in advance: I've seen an idea to extend
FlightGear to support the DIS protocol (a HLA predecessor and competitor). I
believe that HLA is more suitable for this purpose because it implements Data
Distribution Management.  Best Regards,Petr