I've now committed a first stab at a --version option.
In my copy it works like this:

  $ fgfs --version
  2.0pre-20080314
  FG_ROOT=/usr/local/share/FlightGear
  FG_HOME=/home/me/.fgfs

.. but only because my build system sets VERSION in config.h
to 2.0pre-<build-date>. For others this will wrongly show
1.0.0 instead. I think the VERSION should be just the version
number in releases ("2.0.0"), but should contain the build date
(actually the configure date) in CVS versions. But this would
require that build systems for MS Windows and OSX are also
able to set that. (It's easy in automake and scons.) Because
I don't know how feasable it is, I haven't committed the
description to options.xml yet.

For Unices you'd just change this

  AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(FlightGear, 1.0.0)

in configure.ac to

  BUILDDATE="`date +%Y%m%d`"
  AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(FlightGear, "2.0pre-"$BUILDDATE)

m.