On Sunday 27 April 2008 23:53:01 Georg Vollnhals wrote:
> default 0
> timeout 8
> clock=hpet

This is wrong. The kernel parameters are following the file name in
the "kernel" line. This is the section I boot on my server:
###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 10.3 - 2.6.22.17-0.1
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.17-0.1-default root=/dev/system/root
resume=/dev/sda1 splash=silent clock=hpet  showopts
    initrd /initrd-2.6.22.17-0.1-default

You can check if the parameter does what it should by issuing:
cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
on the command line. If it worked, it should output:
hpet
If not, it probably reads "tsc".

Then you'll just have to wait and see if your clock works better. It did for
me. And yes, openSUSE 10.2 didn't have that problem on the same server.

Hope this helps :)
Stefan